|Tuanku Ja'afar U19 Tournament
Hong Kong beat Singapore on faster run rate.
Singapore 138 all out in 50 overs (Zakaria Siddiqui 32; A Watermeyer 10-0-25-4)
Hong Kong 127 for 8 in 34 overs (A French 41, A Harjani 32*)
Malaysia beat Hong Kong by 5 wkts
Hong Kong 98 all out in 40.3 overs (C Palmer 21; R Suppiah 4/30, R Duraratnam 4/17)
Malaysia 99 for 6 in 38.5 overs (R Suppiah 26, S Sakadivam 21; A Harjani 10-0-23-3, A Watermeyer 8-0-26-2)
Hong Kong beat Thailand by 8 wkts
Thailand 79 all out in 35.1 overs (Jaye Green 33; A Harjani 10-2-26-2, A French 10-4-20-2, M Cheruparambil 5.1-1-16-3, G Tyndale 7-2-9-2)
Hong Kong 80/2 in 11.4 overs (M Cheruparambil 42*)
Singapore beat Malaysia by 1 wkt
Malaysia scored102 against Singapore
Hong Kong net run rate 0.9, Malaysia net run rate 0.72
Hong Kong to meet Singapore in Final.
Final: Hong Kong v. Singapore : Rain stopped play.
Hong Kong 144/9 in 50 overs (M Cheruparambil 52; N Krishnan 3/21)
Singapore 82/0 in 22 Overs (J Dearing 51*)
Hong Kong retains the U19 Tuanku Ja'afar Cup
Manoj Cheruparambil, Hong Kong U19 Captain, won the Player of the Tournament Award.
The squad for the Tuanku Ja'afar U19 Cup is:
- Manoj Cheruparambil (Capt)
- Chris Palmer (Vice Capt)
- Alex French *
- Jignesh Tailor *
- Anil Harjani *
- Neeraj Savalani
- Sean Brierly *
- Grayson Tyndale
- Tommy Yau
- Rohan Bohgani
- Brendon Harding *
- Duytish Chaudhary
- Ali Williams
- Adrian Watermyer
Coach - Lal Jayasinghe
Manager - Julian Harniess
* Indicates locally born.
Teams: Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand
Thursday, 9th April 1998
- Malaysia v. Thailand at Kilat, Pantai
- Hong Kong v. Singapore at RSC, Bukit Kiara
Friday, 10th April 1998
- Malaysia v. Hong Kong at Kilat, Pantai
- Thailand v. Singapore at RSC, Bukit Kiara
Saturday, 11th April 1998
- Hong Kong v. Thailand at Kilat, Pantai
- Malaysia v. Singapore at RSC, Bukit Kiara
Sunday, 12th April 1998
Tuanku Ja'afar U13 Tournament
The selectors have now finalised the touring party to represent Hong Kong Under 13 in Singapore from 16th -19th April. May I take this opportunity to thank all boys who tried so hard at the practice sessions and for some it will be disappointing to miss selection.
After discussion with the International Committee the selectors based selection policy on:
- Locally born.
- Staying in Hong Kong for the foreseeable future.
- Already resided in Hong Kong for the mandatory 1 year.
Points 2 & 3 therefore excluded some boys from participating but this decision was taken in the best interests of the development of Hong Kong Cricket.
For your interest the final side is:
- Yogesh Mathani (Capt)
- Mark Barnett (Vice Capt)
- Trevor Slack
- Manoj Khemlani
- Keith Ferrett
- Vinay Sajnani
- Zaran Vachha
- Rishi Daryanani
- Suneel Appan
- Chris Sabine
- Colin Bridges
- Hassan Ahmed
- Dheeraj Daswani
- Osman Khan
Thank you again for your efforts at training, if you missed selection this time, work harder on your game and make it next year.
A. Dates: 16th - 19th April 1998
B. Venue: Singapore
C. Match Schedule:
- Thursday, 16 April 1998 - Singapore vs Malaysia at IA
- Friday, 17 April 1998 - Hong Kong vs Malaysia at CSC
- Saturday, 18 April 1998 - Hong Kong vs Singapore at CSC
- Sunday, 19th April 1998 - FINAL at CSC
D. Arrival Times:
- Wednesday, 15 April - Malaysia
- Thursday, 16 April - Hong Kong (or earlier if required)
E. Transport: All transportation will be provided by the SCA.
Sea View Hotel
Tel: (+65) 345 2222
Fax: (+65) 345 1741
G. Squad Sizes: Squad 14, Manager & Coach.
- 6 of the playing XI must be either citizens or "born in the country" as per the agreement in Hong Kong on December 1st.
I. Age Restrictions: Under 13 on January 1st, 1998
J. Technical Committee: To be headed by Anil Kalaver.
K. Special Under 13 rules:
- 4 3/4 oz ball will be used (hard)
- 20 yard pitch
- 30 overs each per innings
- Maximum 6 overs per bowler
- Boundary - 40 yards
- Fielding Restriction - No player may field within 10 yards in front of the batsman.
- This will be enforced by umpires and a no ball rule does not apply.
- Helmets - To be encouraged.
L. Umpires/Scores: To be provided by SCA.
Tuanku Ja'afar U23 Tournament - Singapore
Hong Kong lost to Malaysia by 15 runs - match details not currently available.
Hong Kong 133-5 (A French 46*, G Tyndale 20, A Booth 20) beat Singapore 132 (K Raza 3-20, A French 2-24) by five wickets.
28/6/98 - Final
Hong Kong 249-6 (G Tyndale 88, M Cheruparambil 44, R Lamsam 48*) lost to Malaysia 250-4 (S Navratnam 118, R Hadhavan 101*) by six wickets.
Youth Asia Cup
Hong Kong won the Plate Final in the Youth Asia Cup in Hong Kong played in Hong Kong during December 1997. The team was:
- Roy Lamsam (Captain) (HK born)
- Manoj Cheruparambil (Vice Captain)
- Alex French (HK born)
- Grayson Tyndale
- Arshad Amdani
- Neeraj Savalani
- Jignesh Tailor (HK born)
- Anil Harjani (HK born)
- Chris Palmer
- Dyutish Chaudhuri
- Tommy Yau
- Sean Brierly (HK born)
- Brendon Harding (HK born)
- Geoff Hurrell (HK born)
- Nick Hurrell (HK born)
Under 19's Beaten in Asia Cup Warm-up
Saturday 22nd November 1997
At DBS: Atkinson's XI 213-1 (M Eames 71, T Smart 87*, R Sharma 47*) beat BIL Hong Kong U19 212 (R Lamsam 85*; Y Vachha 3-26) by nine wickets.